Rebel Belle Review

REBEL BELLE
Series: Rebel Belle (Book One)
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: April 8th 2014
Book Length: 368 pages
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Source: Physical copy, Goodreads 
Review: 4/5 *Full Review Below.

Blurb:
Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.


A breath of much needed fresh air..

I didn’t realise how much I needed this book until I started it. This book is hilarious and will have you laughing throughout, seriously if a book hasn’t made you laugh in a while then read this; it’s entertaining and so much fun!

The story begins with Harper Jane Price, a Homecoming Queen, SGA President, Head Cheerleader, Future Business Leader of America… I kid you not this girl does it all! Until one crazy night she encounters a janitor who gifts her with powers making her a Paladin. My 4 star rating is just for Harper, she’s girly, witty, refuses to swear, says WTF and would rather be seen dead than engaging in PDA. She gets herself into these crazy situations and comes up with the best excuses..

“Harper, did you just... did you just throw a pen at Liz?"
"Oh my gosh, no, Mrs. Ford! I was just... um... writing really fast because there was so much information to take in, and I had, like, some lotion? On my hands? Anyway the pen flew out of my hand and hit Liz”

Right back to the Paladin thing, she’s now a guardian with super stengths and powers and is tasked to protect David Stark. David Stark has been Harper's arch nemesis since childhood and he beat her in a spelling bee BURRRRRNNN and as always girls never forget ;)

He and I had loathed each other since kindergarten. Heck, even before that. Mom says he’s the only baby I ever bit in daycare.”

Harper intends to take her new role seriously like ‘Superman’ or ‘Spiderman’ might but then it soon starts to interfere with her friendship and relationship. It becomes harder and harder for Harper to keep a balance and pretend her life will not have to change in order to save David, who she can’t blame people for wanting to kill after that spelling bee. But boy does she try, she has some hysterical attempts at being badass but she does get there in the end. I just want to fill this review with quotes from the book because they really are hilarious, what the heck here’s one more..

“I picked up the nearest weapon I could lay my hands on: a stapler. I lifted it, going for “menacing.” I admit it lacked a certain elegance, but hey. It was worth a shot. David placed his hand on my arm and pushed it back down.
“What?”
“Just . . . that’s embarrassing for all of us,” he replied.”

The romance is adorable and so cute with a slight love triangle, you’ll know what I mean by slight if you’ve read the book. I loved Harper and David's banter which was full of snarky comebacks and dirty looks. It’s heart warming and realistic, this book does no wrong and I can't believe it's took me this long to read it! I even loved the twist at the end, yes it was bad but it promises for a fun/awkward/crazy next book.. that is already out EEEP!!

Right I shall leave you with this little review; take home message buy this book its perfect for a girly night in, I’m off to read Miss Mayhem!

Share This:

2 comments:

  1. I love the synopsis! I read most things 'southern', since I am a southerner, and this has a unique twist. Thank you for your review.
    Suzi Q., The Book Dame

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of these books I know I have to read and everybody is talking about but keep forgetting what it is about:D Now that I know again I cannot wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...