Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING
Author: Nicola Yoon
Series: Standalone
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: September 1st 2015
Book Length: 320 pages
Publisher: Delacorte
Add to Goodreads 

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

~ Review ~

I have secretly resented every single one of you lucky bloggers who read this weeks and week ago, I mean everybody is talking about it and it’s just hit #1 on the NYT bestseller’s list. I was feeling so sorry for myself thinking ‘WHY ME?’ and that my life was so unfair, I’m so dramatic. So when my copy finally came, I didn’t care that it was extremely late or that I’ve basically been stalking people’s reviews about how amazing it was nor did I care about the hype and wondering if it was unnecessary because… This was spectacular, original and just simply gorgeous! 4 fabulous stars <3
Spoiler alert: Love is worth everything. Everything.”
As I’m sure many of you know, Madeline is allergic to the world, so she’s been stuck in the same house, surrounded by her white walls, white bookshelves and white bedroom since she was a baby. Madeline is only allowed to interact with her mother and her nurse, Carla. She lives a virtual existence with Skype tutoring, book reviewing on Tumblr and she’s perfectly content with her life until Olly moves in next door. Suddenly she wants more, to not just exist but to live.

Madeline was a wonderful protagonist to read about, I was able to connect with her immediately and even though she was okay living in her little bubble for the time being, my heart just broke for her. This is one of those books that make you appreciate the little things in life and to not take things for granted. Once Maddy met Olly she questions her life, her disease, her whole existence and starts to yearn for more, more than her bubble, to breath in non-filtered air, to talk to someone other than her mother, to have her first kiss.
“For the first time in a long time, I want more than I have.”
Olly was adorable, I think I will forever love him for the affect he had on Maddy. She needed to be loved, cared for and ultimately pushed, he was able to break through her barriers and wouldn’t let anything stop him from getting to know the girl next door, not even her disease. The romance between Maddy and Olly was so sweet; I loved their IM’ing and how their relationship slowly developed into one that was worth taking risks.
“Wanting just leads to more wanting. There’s no end to desire.”
This was such a heart-warming story and I was quickly swept away with the storyline which had me flying through the pages. With a plot twist I really didn’t see coming, I thoroughly enjoyed this, the ending was a bit open ended but I was still happy with it. This book deserves all of the praise it’s receiving and I would definitely recommend it to those of you who are looking for something a little different, with some hard-hitting moments, heartwarming discoveries and capturing everything, everything about being young and in love.


Share This:

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around, but I haven't actually read anyone's review on it until now! I'm instantly intrigued by Olly, who only wears black ;) I didn't know it reached NYT's bestseller's list! Okay, I'm off to check this book out now, seeing as it's awesome.
    Fabulous review as always, Cody! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review, Cody! I've been seeing his book around and I'm wondering why I haven't read this yet.. Your review was thorough, and that's why I really think I should check this out and get myself a copy soon! :)

    Fiona | A Girl Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Review! The cover for this book definitely caught my attention, and the synopsis sounds really interesting; really looking forward to reading it! Love your blog name by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...